January 31, 2022
When it comes to saving lives through organ and tissue donation, it takes a village.
Live On Nebraska presents its Green Cape Award throughout the year to recognize healthcare partners who go above and beyond to make donation a reality. As the Green Cape certificates states, these individuals transcend the scope of normal duties during a donor case and are a champion for the ultimate act of generosity—organ and tissue donation.
As demonstrated in these nominations, Green Cape winners routinely do the un-routine, staying past the end of their shift, going out of their way to support families, and doing whatever it takes to save lives:
- McKenze went above and beyond for this family and truly made a lasting impact on their lives. She cared for the patient as if she were family. McKenze made it possible for family members to lay in bed with the patient so they could feel close to her; she washed the patient’s hair multiple times and included the patient’s mother and sister with this the evening of her donation recovery, which was very meaningful for them.
- Dr. Evans was instrumental in recognizing donation potential and helping to fulfill her patient’s decision to give the gift of life. Her patient’s heart now continues to beat in a grateful recipient and her collaboration with Live On Nebraska has lead to many other transplants and lives saved.
- Jacqueline was working off-site and came in, during a storm, to complete testing for the family, even though the family wouldn’t return until the next day. She didn’t want them to have to wait at all. She never met this family, she had never even spoke to a Live On Nebraska staff member, but she knew it was for donation and she made it happen for us.
- Aurora Memorial Hospital had never taken part in a donation case, but stepped up to make it possible when no beds were available at other hospitals. The whole staff was so amazing. From taking care of the donor to making sure our Live On team had everything needed, they were so gracious for the opportunity.
2021 Green Cape Award Winners
- Chelsea Boettner, RN, Nebraska Medicine (two-time winner in 2021)
- Hannah Kovarik, RN, CHI Health St. Francis
- Dr. Charity Evans, Nebraska Medicine
- Paula Tadlock, Great Plains Health
- Karissa Wellendorf, Nebraska Medicine
- Dr. Jeffrey Macaraeg, CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center — Bergan Mercy
- Dr. J. Christopher Shehan, Methodist Health
- KcKenze Cole, RN, Bryan Health
- Jacquline Novotny, Methodist Health
- Aurora Memorial Hospital