Birth Tissue Donation
New Paths for Healing
With the excitement of a new birth also comes the opportunity to help others through the donation of birth tissue.
Birth tissue — the placenta, umbilical cord and amniotic fluid — nourishes your baby during pregnancy and is usually thrown away after delivery. But its healthful benefits don’t have to end when the baby is born. Birth tissue can be saved and made into grafts that can help others heal.
Donating birth tissue has no effect on your delivery and you or your baby’s care.
How Birth Tissue Helps Others
Birth tissue facilitates natural wound healing and can help up to 15 people with medical needs such as:
- Traumatic burns
- Skin cancer treatments
- Ulcers and chronic wounds
- Sports injuries
- Eye conditions
- Dental procedures
The Birth Tissue Donation Process
Your role in preparing for birth tissue donation will take place before your C-section. Your delivery will be carried out in the same manner whether or not donation takes place.
- Prior to your scheduled C-section, a Live On Nebraska Coordinator will call you to confirm your consent for donation and complete a donor screening.
- A series of questions will be reviewed regarding your medical and social history. The interview will take 20-25 minutes. You and your baby’s personal and medical information will be kept confidential.
- Your physician will provide your placenta to Live On Nebraska after the baby’s delivery. We will package the birth tissue and provide it to a partner organization who carefully evaluates the placenta and prepares it for recipients in need.
- After 30 days, you will receive a letter notifying you of the outcome of your donation. Our Aftercare team is always available to answer questions about your donation.
How You Can Help
Anyone with a planned C-section can be considered for donation. At this time, donation is not an option for vaginal births or unplanned C-sections.
Arrangements for birth tissue donation must be made prior to delivery. If you are interested in donating, complete the form below or call Live On Nebraska at 402-932-0560.
Birth Tissue Interest Form
If you’d like to know more about birth tissue donation or are interested in donating, complete the information below and we’ll get back to you shortly.