February 4, 2020
Saving and transforming lives through organ and tissue donation is a team effort.
Live On Nebraska presents its Green Cape Award monthly to an individual or individuals who go above and beyond to make donation a reality. These caregivers provide exceptional patient care, tirelessly support and advocate for the donor’s decision to help others, show extreme compassion and go out of their way to collaborate with the Live On Nebraska team. Their hard work and dedication save hundreds of lives each year and helps each donor leave a legacy of generosity.
Here are just a few examples of how these individuals make a difference for donors, their families and the Live On Nebraska team.
- “Lucas picked up two extra shifts to continue to support the donor family and give consistent care to the patient.”
- “McKenze was very attentive and continued to talk with her patient throughout the donation process, never losing sight that she was someone’s loved one. “
- “Dr. Marple was a constant support and source of positivity. He made facilitating this gift a priority, attending huddles in person and contributing in any way he could to the process.”
- “Even with two patients and an orientee, Shelby made arrangements to attend the flag-raising ceremony where the family announced to the attendees that she is ‘a great nurse.'”
2019 Green Cape Award Winners
- Shelby Gowen, RN, Nebraska Medicine, Omaha
- Dr. Praise Matemavi, Nebraska Medicine, Omaha
- Lucas Richardson, RN, CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha
- McKenze Cole, RN, Bryan Health, Lincoln
- Rev. Barb Lenz, CHI Creighton Univesity Medical Center, Omaha
- Dr. Jeff Marple, Bryan Health, Lincoln
- Dr. Andrew MacFayden, Children’s Hospital & Medical Center, Omaha
- Burgandy Bartos, RN, Faith Regional Medical Center, Norfolk
- Abby Rockford, RN, Faith Regional Medical Center, Norfolk
- Ray Rutland, RN, Faith Regional Medical Center, Norfolk
- Shelby Shipp, RN, CHI Health Good Samaritan, Kearney
- Sarah Royle, RN, Regional West Medical Center, Scottsbluff
- Calene Southard, RN, Regional West Medical Center, Scottsbluff
- Dr. Edmundo Rivera, CHI Health St. Elizabeth, Lincoln
- Nick Zuerlin, RN, CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center, Omaha
Congratulations to these winners and much thanks to the caregivers and support staff at all of the Nebraska hopsitals who are committed to providing exceptional care to their patients and who make the gift of life possible.