January 25, 2021
Whether it’s picking up an extra shift or comforting family members during the donation process, Live On Nebraska hospital partners are always willing to take extra steps to ensure donation can happen.
Live On Nebraska presents its Green Cape Award monthly to these individuals who go above and beyond to make donation a reality. These caregivers provide exceptional patient care, tirelessly support and advocate for the donor’s decision to help others, show extreme compassion and go out of their way to collaborate with the Live On Nebraska team.
Shelley Thomas received a Green Cape award at the end of the year. She was especially grateful for the recognition.
“I am humbled beyond words,” Shelley said. “My experiences with Live On will remain in my heart forever.”
Take a look at just a few examples of the ways our partner doctors, nurses, and chaplain dedicate themselves to help each donor leave a legacy of generosity:
- Jessica has started calling moms every week to see if they would like to donate birth tissue out of the goodness of her heart. Since Jessica has started doing this, birth tissue donations have almost tripled in referrals every week. I don’t know where our program would be without Jessica going above and beyond the call of duty.
- Dr. Gallagher took time out of his busy day and away from his other patients to re-explain the process to a deeply grieving family! The doctor showed so much compassion and he did not mind repeating himself or re-explaining to the family however many times necessary!
- Danielle did an amazing job taking care of our patient. She spent time listening and supporting the family when they were there. She helped coordinate the Hero Walk to ensure the hospital took a moment to honor him.
- Dr. Eichorn was so kind and helpful during the process. He was supportive of donation and went out of his way to make sure things went as smoothly as possible.
2020 Green Cape Award Winners
- Michelle Reifschneider, House Supervisor, Regional West Medical Center
- Shelly Thomas, Social Worker, Regional West Medical Center
- Dr. Scott Diesing, Nebraska Medicine
- Becky Van Winkle, CRNA, Nebraska Medicine
- Katie Kingsley, RN, CHI Health St. Francis
- Jeanine Worley, RN, Bryan Health
- Lillian Snajdr, RN, Bryan Health
- Ali Stonebraker, RN, Nebraska Medicine
- Carmen Shannon, RN, Nebraska Medicine
- Dr. Brian Gallagher, Bryan Health
- Dr. Thomas Kraner, CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center — Bergan Mercy
- Shelby Shipp, RN, CHI Health Good Samaritan
- Sabrina McKeever, RN, CHI Health Creighton University Medical Center — Bergan Mercy
- Dr. Jared Alberts, CHI Health Immanuel
- Dr. Bill Pruett, Fellow, CHI Health Immanuel
- Danielle Dougherty, RN, CHI Health Mercy Council Bluffs
- Jessica Burnside, Bryan Health