Donate Life Month Resources
Celebrated each April, National Donate Life Month is an opportunity for individuals and organizations to help encourage Americans to register as organ, tissue and eye donors and to celebrate those who have saved lives through the gift of donation.
Below are several resources to help with your Donate Life Month story.
Download the 2022 Donate Life Month press release.
- More than 100,000 people in U.S. are waiting for an organ transplant.
- 300 people in Nebraska or waiting for an organ transplant.
- Every 10 minutes another name is added to the transplant waiting list.
- Each day 20 people in the U.S. die waiting for an organ transplant.
- 2021 Nebraska organ and tissue donation statistics:
- 97 deceased organ donors
- 35 living organ donors
- 583 deceased tissue donors
- 297 birth tissue donors
- 41,354 organ transplants were performed in the United States in 2021.
- One deceased organ and tissue donor can save and heal up to 100 people.
- Anyone age 16 and over can register to be an organ, tissue and eye donor.
- The organs that can be donated are: lungs, heart, liver, pancreas, kidneys, intestines.
- The tissues that can be donated are: corneas, heart valves, bone, skin, veins, connective tissue.
- Nebraska’s oldest donor was 103 years old.
2022 Featured Donors
Click the name of each donor to view their story.
National Blue & Green Day
During National Donate Life Blue & Green Day, the public is encouraged to wear blue and green and to engage in sharing the Donate Life message and promoting the importance of registering as an organ, eye and tissue donor.